Thursday, November 6, 2014

Cadillac Ranch to Tucumcari, NM

Left out of Amarillo with one thing in mind. Visit the Cadillac Ranch!
The Cadillac Ranch started as an art project from the Ant Farm.
I have driven past it previously, but never stopped to take photos.
Well.....here they are!


There was a photo shoot going on, see the guy on top of the car near the middle?

I stopped at the Midpoint Cafe in Adrian, TX, which is the last configuration midpoint of Route 66. 



I had a good conversation with the owners, then had a great piece of pie. It didn't meet my low carb requirement, but I had it any way! 

My next scheduled stop was the Glenrio ghost town. Glenrio was a nice little town before I40 came through. After I40, everything disappeared. All the buildings are now privately owned and there are no longer any businesses. Glenrio is sad, I didn't take any photos.

I was making the turn to go over I40 and the lane I was turning to was full of gravel. Gravel and motorcycles don't go well together. In a turn at about 30 mph on a motorcycle and throw in gravel and it's about as bad as it gets. I went down hard, the engine guard did it's job and protected the bike. Luckily there was no traffic behind me. I ended up with a ruined engine guard, ruined lower, and a pretty messed up saddlebag. Physically, no major damage. I picked up the bike, made it to a safe location and rubbed some dirt on my wounds (that's what Peyton said to do). I'll have a limp for a couple of days, but should be 100% by the time I make it home next week. My gear did it's job; a couple of cuts on my chaps and decimated the side of my left boot.




Saddlebag damage.
 


After my fun in Glenrio, I drove through San Jon on my way to Tucumcari
Tucumcari has done a great job taking advantage of the desire for the old days. They live and breath Route 66. 





I had dinner at Del's, which was very good.

Kevin and Nancy took care of me at the Blue Swallow Motel, would definitely recommend staying here if you're in the area. Cherry got her very own garage. Appropriately, there's an Easy Rider mural on the back wall.





That's about it from Tucumcari, I'll post again from the west side of New Mexico tomorrow.


No comments:

Post a Comment