Friday, November 14, 2014

Epilogue

My total journey was over 3,200 miles in 7 days (about 1,500 on the 66 route).

Leaving Santa Monica, I was stuck in LA rush hour traffic for over 90 minutes. I finally made it out of rush hour and stopped overnight in Banning, CA. I had a beautiful day and a great ride to Deming, NM for my overnight stop. The scenery was great and all was right with the world.

I woke up on Wednesday to a 33° start to the day. That was cold, but I thought it would warm up as I moved into Texas. Well....the arctic blast had moved in and Texas was actually colder than anywhere else on my trip. It was a brutal ride with a northerly wind sometimes gusting to over 40 mph. Air temps were as low as 22°, the wind chill was absolutely painful.

I made numerous stops to unfreeze my hands and clean the ice from the face shield on my helmet. When I would breath out, my breath would turn to ice and start to accumulate on the face shield.

After 14 1/2 hours I made it home. My beautiful wife had hot chili waiting for me, which was fantastic.

The last day was not what I wanted, but this was a fantastic trip overall. I look forward to running the full 2,278 miles in 2016.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Tony sounds like an eventful trip! Great pics and info too but glad you made it back in one piece! Still fancy it myself so maybe 2016 might be the one! Keep in touch buddy.
    Cheers,

    Droal

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers partner. I'll get a FB page up for the new trip in a few weeks. I'll make certain you get an invite!

      Delete