Friday, November 7, 2014

Tucumcari to Gallup, NM

Great start to the day, visited with some out of country visitors while getting my gear ready and having coffee. Thanks Kevin for the coffee and for wearing those awesome house shoes!

Morning was cool, phone said 49, bike thermometer said 42. Either way, we were ready to go. We backpedaled less than a mile to have breakfast at Kix on 66.




Absolutely great place. The staff, food, and decor were all excellent.



















You definitely need to stay a few days when you visit Tucumcari. Too many good places to eat, you'll need a couple of days to get to them all. Lot's of history here, it would be worth an extra night or two. If you make the trip, call up Kevin or Nancy at the Blue Swallow Motel.

My day was hectic, but productive. I stayed on schedule throughout the day. Cherry is performing great, even at altitude. I was a bit discouraged today. While we did have some great long stretches on 66, there were a couple of places that weren't marked and some that were marked but ended up being dead ends. I had to double back 3 times, so the good news, I was able to see that section twice!

We visited several locales that were prime real estate prior to I40. Santa Rosa, Moriarity, Clines Corners, Albuquerque, Laguna Pueblo, Grants, Thoreau, and of course ending in Gallup.
Here's a few of today's sites.






An Edsel Excavator at the Route 66 Auto Museum in Santa Rosa, NM!








 

1947 Chevy COE


The Rio Puerco Bridge c1933














And I used an analog pump today. I know they're around, but everything I see is digital anymore.



And we crossed the Continental Divide. That's my first time to cross it on a motorcycle.



And after a long day on the road, we made it to Gallup.


Cold start tomorrow, expected temp about 30. Expected temp at my destination tomorrow, 82. I'll be shedding clothes on the way. 

That's all for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment